Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 22, 2011

La Casa de Bernarda Alba-Part 1, the events leading up to the performance with a few cultural details

     On Thursday last my wife and I decided to attend the final showing of "La Casa de Bernarda Alba" at the Teatro Degollado in downtown Guadalajara, Mexico. The process for obtaining a ticket in Mexico is a bit different than in America, or at least what I have thought as the norm. Here in Mexico Ticketmaster is a very strong company. In order to buy our tickets to this event we needed to enter www.ticketmaster.com.mx. The .mx is the sign at the end of every website that originates in Mexico. The ticket prices were all 90 pesos with a 9 pesos fee for processing online. They don't really have a "will-call" like in America. There will-call is different, as will be shown. They charge 35 pesos for an international or domestic will-call. 35 pesos is the equivalent of a little less than 3 dollars, give or take the exchange rate for the day. The current exchange rates vary between dollars and pesos at about 12 pesos to one dollar. Once the ticket is bought on Ticketmaster the purchaser must then go to a designated Ticketmaster location to retrieve the tickets. The location closest to where we live is the Office Depot at the Cordilleras Plaza. I had to show my passport and the card I used in order for them to print out a ticket. The tickets are super fancy. Once I get the cable to download my pictures I'll show you a copy of a Ticketmaster ticket in Mexico. Once obtained I walked back to the apartment and we prepared ourselves for a night downtown.
     Since my wife and I are visiting Mexico, we don't have a car at our disposal. The main way we go about traveling in Guadalajara is by bus. The bus system here is very economical and very oft-used. I have to admit my first experiences on a Guadalajaran bus have forever changed my perspective of how wonderful the buses are back in Utah. I would take a picture of the congestion on a bus, but I think that might make me look WAY like a tourist and it might offend others, so I'll have to catch a bus when it stops and put that here. We live about 15 minutes by walking, south of Vallarta, which is one of the principal roads in Guadalajara. We live off Patria which is another principle road. There is one bus that goes up and down Patria, and for that reason, it is almost always crowded. In fact, in the mornings when I'm in a hurry sometimes I'll take the 632 bus north to Vallarta. Lately, though, I have changed my opinion about taking that bus in the morning to save time. One morning 5 buses passed those of us waiting at the stop because they were extremely full. When I say full I mean there is no way another person can even stand in the entryway to the bus. There have been times the busdriver has had to tell-off someone to make them get out because the door didn't close and they were persistent in being on that bus. Needless to say the bus is a very common mode of transportation here in Mexico's 2nd largest city.
     Since it was around the evening time the bus is less crowded. Gloria and I paid each 6 pesos (about 50 cents, a little less than a dollar in total) and boarded the 632 towards Vallarta. Once at Vallarta we crossed Patria towards the area where the buses load and unload. It's a main intersection where many buses pass. Honestly, it's a very economical way of transportation. Many people, including my wife, are scared about the buses here in Mexico, but as far as I've seen, nothing really happens. Of course I take my precautions like putting my back pack in front of me and trying to always stay at the front by the bus driver. The bus that takes me to the university (Tecnologico de Monterrey) is 629-B. There is a similar bus that passes towards the central part of downtown Mexico numbered 629-A. I have to be careful to look for the B and the signs of destination before I board in the mornings. Gloria and I climbed on to the 629-A bus and headed east towards the central part of downtown Guadalajara, where the Teatro Degollado is located. We drove through a lot of construction as Guadalajara is preparing itself in October for the 2011 Panamerican Games, an American Continent version of the Olympics. May I just add here that all the schools in Guadalajara are taking a week off to attend these games, except my school. Aren't I the lucky one!
     The bus took us downtown, a few blocks away from the theatre. We stepped down into the busy market area where there are vendors, street sellers, tourists, and just about anything else imaginable in a downtown area. The University of Guadalajara is a very old and beautiful stone building located at the heart of Guadalajara. What constitutes the central area of Guadalajara is the Catholic Cathedral. It is a masterpiece of art, built originally in 1618, but having received many revisions because of earthquakes and fires afterwards. Next to the cathedral are the Guadalajara government offices and the Teatro Degollado. There is a huge plaza in front of the entrance to the cathedral and between the cathedral's rear and the Teatro Degollado. The architecture in the downtown area is a very Baroque/Colonial. What I love about the architecture here is that the older buildings are preserved for future generations, unlike in many parts of the United States where when a building starts to fade it is demolished and a contemporary building replaces the former structure. Guadalajara is a sight to behold.
     Gloria and I had some time to spare to breathe in the downtown experience. We had previously passed through the area with some family friends the first couple days after we landed in Mexico. We walked through the streets and looked at the shops. We stopped for some ice cream (6 pesos each for a small cup of vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate). We sat at a small park just south of the the theater. There was a monument to Pablo Neruda that we read. Gloria likes Pablo Neruda. We noticed as we sat there, that there is a macrobus that is like the Trax system in Utah, run by rail and only on two rails (one north-bound and one south-bound). There is a lot of economical transportation here. It's a great example of the potential infrastructure many downtowns could implement in the United States in terms of public transportation.
     We then walked towards the theater and waited outside for awhile. Gloria bought a coke (about 7 pesos) and then we waited. Luckily, Gloria was standing right where the line was forming so we found our spots to go in. It was a fast moving line. We probably waited less than 10 minutes to enter.
     I have never entered a theater like this one. It is a breathtaking piece of art. The Teatro Degollado was first dedicated on 13 September 1866 with Lucia di Lammermoor as its opening opera (which I might add is one my favorites for the "pyscho" aria). The entrance is full of columns, representing a certain Greek element to the theatre, perhaps recognizing the birth of western theatre in its Grecian roots. There is a beautiful chandelier as you enter, followed by statues and other pillars. It looks as if the theatre was renovated because it is impeccable on the inside as well as on the out. Then the real treat: we entered the principal auditorium.
     Having seen these kinds of theaters only in textbooks I felt tremendously honored to be inside a theatre of such exquisite beauty. All along the side walls and the back wall were balconies, like those in the Phantom of the Opera and in many theaters during the Renaissance. We sat facing the stage in row L, seats 25 & 26. The ceiling was ornately painted to represent the beautiful Grecian thinkers and gods/goddesses. The main curtain was elaborately painted to show a scene of woman, perhaps during Grecian times as well. I will definitely post these pictures as soon as possible so you can actually see what I saw, though you will have to come and experience it for yourself to really gain the complete perspective. We sat in our seats, thrilled for a new experience in such a beautiful theatre. After three curtain calls the lights dimmed as people made their way towards their seats.

2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful experience! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I found your blog!!! Loved reading about all your adventures!!!! When do you come home????

    ReplyDelete